Will Aggressive Driving Cause a Car Crash?

Angry driving and road rage are common across California, and the month of February is dedicated to National Aggressive Driving Awareness. Were you or someone you love hurt in an accident caused by an aggressive driver? You may be able to collect compensation for your losses. 

Here’s what you should know about road rage accidents and your right to financial restitution. 

Road Rage 101 

Road rage is common and often fuel for a lot of jokes. However, aggressive driving should be taken seriously. Drivers who harass other drivers on the road by speeding around them, following too closely, making rude gestures, or trying to push them off the side of the road may face legal penalties for their actions. 

How Aggressive Driving Results In Accidents 

Aggressive driving results in more accidents than you might think. DriversEd.com reports that as many as 66% of deadly motor vehicle accidents can be attributed to angry driving or road rage. A staggering 37% of road rage incidents involved firearms, further increasing the risk of a catastrophic or deadly outcome. 

What You Should Do When Encountering an Angry Driver 

If you encounter an aggressive driver, it’s crucial that you do whatever you can to diffuse the situation. Don’t match their aggressive energy, even if you are in the right. Here’s what you can do: 


  • Allow angry drivers to pass you. If a driver is following you too closely and honking at you, pull over and let them pass. It’s not worth getting into an accident. 
  • Refuse to engage with the driver of the other vehicle. Regardless of whether they are honking, yelling at you, making gestures, or otherwise trying to get your attention, it’s important that you don’t give it. They are trying to get a rise out of you, which can further endanger you and others on the road. 
  • Drive to safety. If the aggressive driver still won’t leave you alone, take your vehicle to a public place like a fire station, a hospital, or even just an all-night gas station. Stay in your car with the doors locked and call the police if the driver will not leave you alone. 

How Can a Car Accident Attorney Help You? 

Were you or a family member injured in a car accident caused by another person’s angry driving? You deserve the full and fair compensation needed to pay for all the damages you incurred as a result of the accident. Call Carl Brown now for  more information about road rage accidents (559) 431-4400.