Understanding Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Coverage for Car Accidents

Many people believe that when they’re involved in a car accident, their car insurance or the other person’s car insurance will cover all of the costs associated with the accident. However, this is often not the case. Here’s what you need to know about car accident insurance, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and what to do if you were hurt in a crash.


Understand Your Policy’s Limits


It’s important to know your policy. For example, if you have liability only coverage, your insurance company will pay nothing toward your own damages resulting from a car crash. If you have a policy that pays $100,000 toward medical costs, you will only receive that amount regardless of how high your medical costs actually are.


As an example, say you were involved in a serious car accident that resulted in $300,000 in medical bills. Say you had $100,000 in coverage from your own insurance company and the other driver had a policy that would pay $150,000 in medical costs. This means that you would have $50,000 of medical expenses that you would be responsible for yourself. If the other driver had no insurance at all, you would be responsible for $200,000 of medical expenses. If the other driver had no insurance and you had liability only insurance, you would be responsible for the full amount of your medical care.


The Value of Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage


In the event that your own policy and the other driver’s policy does not have enough coverage, this is where uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage comes into play. If you purchased this with your policy, it would help pay for the leftover medical expenses after the primary coverage on your policy and the policy of the other driver had been exhausted. If you do not currently have this type of coverage, it’s worth considering in the event that you are involved in an accident that results in critical and costly injuries.


How Can a Car Accident Attorney Help?


An experienced car accident attorney can assist you in filing claims against the other driver’s insurance and your own insurance company to obtain funds to cover medical expenses that resulted from the accident. If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, your lawyer can assist you in making sure that your insurance company adheres to your policy and provides you the funds that are due to you.


Contact the Law Offices of Carl L. Brown today if you’ve been involved in a car accident or if you simply have questions about insurance. Call now at (559) 431-4400.